Sunday, August 14, 2011

Longio Telamon Tourbillon 1000m Diver Watch Review

My first tourbillon. The package was delivered to me and I quickly opened the box to find the Longio case inside. It was a larger presentation box, but that made sense given some of the included accessories. I hastily lifted the leather lid and a wide smile appeared on my face to see the almost mythical complication operating under the plastic film cover on the watch dial. Being an automatic movement, the transit had kept the watch wound enough for it to be moving when I first saw it. That little rotating balance wheel, spinning while it oscillates had a profound effect on me - given that I have been writing about $100,000 plus tourbillons for a while. Now I had one in my home. The difference here is where the tourbillon was made (that of course implies a host of differences). While most of tourbillon movements I have written about have European origin, this guy was from China.

And the watch totally is a "guy." Very masculine proportions and an aggressive stance. Maybe I am wrong for saying this, but I am surprised that a design from China has such a cool look. The design isn't necessarily a complex feat of refinement and careful study - but more a raw, architectural style with a guttural sense of strength. It is like the unpredictable marriage of Japanese armor design and the architectural style of proud looking propaganda-run state government buildings. I need to caution that last point, because if you've never seen government buildings made out of the direction of propaganda driven countries (communists, dictatorship, etc...), you'd have no idea what I am talking about. Unlike the cheap residences of communist era countries for example, the government buildings were very strong looking and meant to illicit a strong sense of pride and respect for the "establishment." I see a lot of this almost neo-Roman mixed with art-deco on steroids style in this watch. I feel as though this exaggerated explanation is necessary, because I want to show you that this is a unique design, but also why I think it stands out. It is possible that given China's government, there is a bit of this design element in their government buildings, which might have influenced the watch design. Not having been to China, I can't really say. Though a hint about their design philosophy comes from the brand's sub-slogan "The P.R.C. (People's Republic of China) Manufacture of Exceptional Mechanical Timepieces."

No comments:

Post a Comment