Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Small shop with big goals in Gates

The Mulberry Patch is just as small as its name implies. The approximately 500-square-foot gift shop opened Dec. 1 and sells candles, children's toys, handbags, home décor items and more. Owner Kimberly Ringelstein said her goal for the store is to sell unique high-end products. "I just wanted a specialty shop — things you can't get everywhere else," said the 41-year-old Gates resident. The store, at 560 Coldwater Road, is open from noon to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, and features products including Donna Sharp handbags, Crabtree & Evelyn scents, Michel Design Works soaps and candles, Melissa and Doug educational toys and Pavillion Gift Company home décor (which is based in Bergen, Genesee County). "My slogan is 'gifts for the hearts and home,' and I really do believe that I specialize in that," Ringelstein said. Also a hair stylist and nail technician, Ringelstein is the former owner of Poshe Salon and Spa on Buffalo Road. But when health problems began to hinder her work, she knew she had to make a career change. While on vacation in Yorktown, Va., this fall, Ringelstein was inspired by a boutique she visited named the Yorktown Onion, which sells home décor and gifts. "I thought, 'I could totally do this,' and I'm not hurting my body," she said. Immediately upon returning from vacation, Ringelstein put her plans to open a store into motion. The location next door to the salon where she works part time (Loreta's Hair Salon) was vacant. "I got this thing together pretty quick," she said. Although the Mulberry Patch has been open only for a month, Ringelstein is hoping to eventually introduce new product lines. "It might be small right now, but I do feel we're going to grow," she said. But with a limited amount of space, Ringelstein said she's not sure where she'll put everything just yet. She also admits she's worried about a decline in sales after the holiday season. "Everything I had went into (the store)," she said. "I did take a risk, but I'm confident about the things I'm selling." Town Supervisor Mark Assini noted that small businesses are "the backbone of our town's economy." "We are grateful to have the Mulberry Patch open in Gates and wish them much success," he said. Most shoppers have spotted the store driving by or heard about it through word of mouth. Dawn Mortimer of Chili stopped into the Mulberry Patch to finish last-minute Christmas shopping. "I like to support local retailers," she said. "There are all these huge chain stores, but I'd rather shop here."

No comments:

Post a Comment