Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fashion: EmberSkye Handbags

A small clutch with diamond fringe (style 715) is the handbag that Fair calls a girl ’ s best friend. “At this point we were designing the whole collection and realized we only had two clutches, the one with two big balls and the little gray one. We needed more clutches. Chantel disappeared for a few days and came back with it. It ’ s really cute. The fringe diamond is different. It ’ s part of the fall collection of 35 bags. I’m always designing. I have three more big bags coming in and four clutches for the holidays. I don’t want anything to be boring. I update my line constantly. ” Fair points out a large black leather bag with gold embellishments (style 708) . “My sister said I should put feet on them, so I’m going to start to do that. ” We ’ d noticed the same thing, that without feet on the bags you’d be reluctant to put them down. A favorite is style 710, a gray suede with two big balls on the handle as the clasp. “I like the frame with the two big balls, ” says Fair. “Oh, that sounds odd. Anyway, I may go with a smaller version of the frame to add hooks so I can go with a chain. ” The price range for EmberSkye handbags is $400 to $500 for clutches. Big bags go from $500 to almost $800. The leather is lamb and the linings are ultra-suede. The bags come with dust covers. Fair says can customize her bags, that if a customer wants the black and gold bag in dark gray, she can do that. Fair says she only designs handbags and confesses she ’ s not the greatest illustrator. “I’m a horrible drawer, ” says Fair. “You ’ d probably laugh at my drawings. I’ll take it to my manufacturer, Louis, and he ’ ll make a perfect drawing that’s exactly what I want. He ’ ll draw it on a piece of paper in 3-D, that you can see it ’ s a handbag, not just a box. Then he ’ ll make a sample. I ’ ll ok it to make it for production. ” Fair says she tracks what celebrities are wearing. “People ’ s Style Watch is my bible. I ’ m obsessed with that magazine. Normally, they ’ re on track for what ’ s in style and the colors. ” Fair began her career at J.J. Winters. “As soon as I got here I became J.J. Winters ’ assistant. She owns and designs J.J. Winters. I learned how to run a company, how to design, the whole works. I left J.J. Winters in November of 2009. My mom said, start your own company, and I started my own company. It ’ s something I love to do. ” Amber Fair, who ’ s just 23, has her mother Bonnie Fair as her partner. Amber Fair says her next challenge is going green. “I need to come up with a green line. Drew Barrymore requested, ‘Do I have anything green ? ’ Natalie Portman requested, but I had nothing green. ” Fair says she ’ s looking to San Diego because there ’ s a leather store there with all recycled materials. She ’ s also researching using bamboo handles and organic cotton lining. “I’m looking to make a completely green line. ” Stores that carry the EmberSkye line include the Painted Nail Boutique in Sherman Oaks, California, Apricot Lane Boutique in West Palm Beach, Florida, Elan Boutique in Phoenix, Arizona, Pretty Tall in South Carolina, Bags Then Home in Alabama and Ciao Bella in Tennessee. “I have a showroom, but will eventually get rid of that, ” says Fair. “I ’ ll hire a New York and L.A. showroom. I have a U.K. showroom that ’ s interested. ” Fair says EmberSkye meets a need for more diversity within the handbag industry and grants her and Brayley the opportunity to share their design ideas and passion. EmberSkye is bringing quality and individuality to fashion lovers all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment