Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Defining Style: Like it or not, Lady Gaga encourages women

Even though she can be risqué and outrageous, Lady Gaga is a modern girl who dares to wear what the rest of us won’t. I may not be a fan of the planet ensemble she wore to the Grammys — urine colored hair and a star prop which she held on the red carpet — but I have to admit some of her getups are quite interesting and very high fashion. If anything, I offer the pop star style support rather than style criticism. I do love her music. I am a true Little Monster and I love her style. One thing about the singer I absolutely adore is the way she took it upon herself to personalize a few of her Hermes Birkin bags that are worth thousands of dollars. Gaga took a Sharpie to the totes and even added silver studs to the one bag proving personal style rules all. While most critics saw this as destroying the one-of-a-kind, made-to-order, sometimes wait-listed bags only the rich and famous can afford, I see it as having some of the most self-expressed Birkin bags in the world. And the best part is, no one will have one exactly like it. Shows off Lady Gaga also has a killer body and shows it off with every chance she gets. And why shouldn’t she? The pop star isn’t afraid to show off her tattoos and sexy frame in pantless outfits that consist of just a blazer, gloves and heels, to more risqué pieces such as cut-out leotards and caution tape barely covering her breasts. I must admit though, I hate the song “Telephone.” I love the video and the dancing. There’s one scene in which she dances in just a bra and underwear! My favorite costume to date is the red lace gown with the matching face mask and crown created by the late Alexander McQueen. A huge fan of the late designer who passed away in February, Lady Gaga has worn many more pieces by him, including the 10-inch Armadillo heels she dances around in for her “Bad Romance” video. As eccentric as McQueen was with his designs, it’s evident Lady Gaga is just as eccentric and she pulls off every one of her outfits with great confidence. You may see Lady Gaga as a fashion freak or you may see her as a fashion role model who lives her life through self expression and confidence. Thanks to Lady Gaga’s music and style risks, more and more women have the courage to express themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment