Monday, November 22, 2010

Women and handbags

Some have described how handbags make them feel complete as they go to work, on a journey or attending some official function. What a valued possession! Making them feel complete clearly underscores how important a handbag is to woman. Handbags come in all sorts of designs and colours, shapes and sizes. We always see them hanging on women's shoulders as they (women) go shopping, attend parties or funerals - literally everywhere. But what really inspires the choice of a handbag that a woman chooses to buy? "For me, it's my personality. Being somebody who is always vivacious and so lively when I walk, I need a handbag that goes with that. That is why my handbags are bright in colour. I also choose that looking at the colours of my outfits. The handbag that I choose for the day should match with what I would be wearing. It helps complete my outfit and makes me feel good. A handbag is a fashion statement," Mareledi Mapini says as she points at her purple handbag. Do all women choose any handbag regardless of the mood that they are in? Not necessarily though some say their choice for the day is influenced by their mood. Interesting. "If I'm in a jolly mood I take a handbag that is bright in colour with some fancy design. That, to me, suits the jolly mood. When I'm in a bad mood, I choose a bag that has a dull colour. My friends know this, so they just look at my hand bag to tell whether I'm in a good mood or not," says 30-year-old Meriane Majaha. She says that a handbag is a part of her and cannot think of a day without one. The choice of the type of handbag that some women take for an occasion is determined by the event itself. Here, the size and the colour matter. "When going for dinner, I take a clutch bag. "When going to a wedding, I take something bigger than that in which I can carry all the stuff I need: make-up kit, washing rag, mirror, change clothes, etc; the colour has to show that I'm going to a happy occasion," Khumo Johannes also shares her experience with handbags. But what is in a handbag? "I put so many things in here: my purse, car and house keys, cell phone, card holder, diary, pen, sanitary pads, toothbrush, toothpaste, clothes, shoes, wet wipers or tissues, chewing gum, you know what, the list is endless. A handbag helps a woman to be organised. "Once you have bought a handbag organiser, you put each item in its own compartment, so, you do not waste time looking for what you want in your handbag," Keitumetse Tom says.

No comments:

Post a Comment