Monday, March 28, 2011

Climb to the heights of fashion in Vawk's Fall and Winter collection

Designer Sunny Fong says the new collection is Saville Row meets Himalayan mountain climber.

"I know there's a whole minimal movement with fashion and that's where I'm taking it with the menswear vibe," Fong said.

"I still want to have my take on fashion where I like to do a lot of texture for Fall, incorporating fur and beading."

Fong said he was inspired by the fabrics and construction of the clothes worn in the Himalayas and leant his handmade touch, working with a knitter to create some of the pieces.

"I'm excited about those pieces, incorporating the wool and knit together," said Fong who added blending high fashion and function was also on his mind.

"That was my focus how do we look cool but stay warm .... I wanted to bring another option doing shearling and sheepskin, that whole end of the world use that type of cloth to stay warm so I mashed it all up."

Fong incorporated punches of colour with yellow, cranberry and turquoise among the neutrals, to bring something unexpected, he says.

Showing at Fashion Week is also something different for the Project Runway Canada winner, who has shown off site for the past few seasons.

"Especially with the bigger venue, we wanted to be accessible to the people who've been following us, but haven't been able to attend our shows in the past," Fong says.

"Overall, we're trying something new and unpredictable."

No comments:

Post a Comment