Sunday, October 9, 2011

Quality is great. Say all you want about Chopard

Herein comes part of the polarizing qualities of the watch. Some people think that it is either a shame the watch is quartz at all, or that Chopard should have removed the LCD screen and have the watch just tell the time. Other people (like me) welcome the additional features to an otherwise classy watch and appreciate the high-end quartz movement and accuracy. This is like a stealth nerd watch -Â because sometimes I don't want everyone knowing I am a nerd. It is also a good daily watch for people who want a timepiece they only need to worry about when changing the battery each few years. My history of loving watches started out with timepieces made by an old friend named Casio. As a kid I would get all excited by watches with as many features crammed in as possible. Analog pieces that just told the time bored me. I wanted my watches complex and useful. But they were plastic, and for an adult, pulling them off while trying to look presentable is hard. So most of the time you are stuck with an ugly though useful watch, or a pretty but boring watch. Yes, this is an over-simplification, but you get the concept I am trying to suggest. For me, Chopard was able to combine the best of both worlds in the Time Attack MF, being able to satisfy picky people such as myself. Though seriously, I don't get the "Time Attack" part. Does the watch have some secret weapon in it that I haven't discovered yet? Quality is great. Say all you want about Chopard, but they make a good looking, well put together watch. The Monaco Historique Time Attack MF is in a really well polished steel case that is 42.5mm wide and 14.5mm thick (ideal size for the case and design). It has a perfectly domed AR coated sapphire crystal, and that nicely engraved caseback. All I would improve is the 50 meters of water resistance. There is another steering wheel engraving on the crown, and the pushers feel good to the touch. Very few areas on the case are really sharp, but it doesn't look rounded either. For me the watch is perfectly comfortable with its elegantly curved lugs and beautiful bracelet. The watch came on a port-holed leather strap or this great looking metal bracelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment